Monday, May 16, 2005

Favorite Notebook

Moleskine notebooks seem to have a cult-like following. I admit I have lusted after them in my heart. I love the look; the size; the elastic; the pockets; and they have some interesting formats like the storyboard. I used to carry something very similar. But I find that I hate writing in a notebook that I can't fold completely open so I tend to like wirebound (or any other binding that allows me to fold it over).

So here's what I've been using for years now. I always get these Clairefontaine notebooks with the grid paper...I really hate writing on anything other than grid. Don't ask why - I have no rational answer. And I always use the 6-3/4 X 8-5/8 for work and the 4-3/4 x6 -3/4 for carrying around with me to jot down ideas,etc.

I always end up hacking them a bit:
- Always create two pockets: one inside the front cover and one inside the back cover. To do this I usually hack up a couple 8-1/2x11 envelopes.
- Glue in a pad of sticky notes
- At one time I tried hacking on a pen holder...that wasn't so effective

The covers are not beautiful, I'll probably try my hand at hacking some sort of cover one of these days.

I have to admit I have recently been tempted by the Rhodia but they are too large.

How interesting that someone would bother to create a notebook and paper with "Sensuous curved edges". Must be some interesting market research behind that one.